About 85-90% of elderly people desire to stay in their own home, as they age. However, this becomes difficult as the people get older, found in researches. Seniors used to face falls and slip problems that hurt them when they stay alone at home. To avoid such situations, you can make some changes to your place and can make your home more secure and peaceful place for your senior family members.
You can adopt some effectual strategies that can make the home safer, more comfortable, and more adaptable to your senior’s altering ability of performing their Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), like bathing, cooking, and using the bathroom independently.
Here, are some little and effective changes to do for your home -
• You can make space accommodate a walker, wheelchair, or another kind of disability aid and still uphold the resale worth or even add to the value of the home
• Install railings on both sides of the staircase or make arrangements of bath, kitchen, and bedroom on the ground floor to avoid the need of using the staircase
• Check out the hazards around the home that can upsurge the risk of slip and fall
• Install bright and good lighting in and out of your place. This can help the seniors to walk around safely as they can see the obstacles easily in bright light
• Remove damaged rugs or carpets that can trip a grown-up person or hitch a walker or cane
• You can install handrails on both sides to secure the steps
• Get good-quality lever handles installed on the faucets and doors
• Get grab bars in the showers and bathroom
• Install walk in shower to walk in bath to your place to give them comfortable independent bathing experience and facilities.
• Installing walk in bath or showers can give them ease to entering and exit in and to the bathroom independently.
Doing little changes can improve your home and can save your family members from the illness and accidents. So, for it and give a secure happy life to your senior family members and enjoy a delightful life with them.